Sharing below is a recipe taken from my collection (source: Women’s Weekly magazine, April 2008).
Prep: 5 min Cook: 20 min Serves: 4
- 4 thick slices bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp olive oil, extra
- 8 slices lean bacon
- 400g can tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- baby spinach or rocket leaves to serve
- Using an 8 cm cookie cutter, cut bread into rounds. Using a smaller 4 or 5 cm cookie cutter, cut centres from bread rounds.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add bread and flatten slightly. Cook till golden.
- Flip bread and break one egg into each hole. Cook till egg white is set and the bread is golden.
- Meanwhile, heat extra oil in another clean pan over high heat. Cook bacon slices for 3 – 5 or till crisp.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomatoes and chilli powder. Stir over low heat for 4 – 5 min or till heated through.
- Season to taste. Serve eggs with bacon, tomato salsa and spinach or rocket leaves.