Sharing below is a recipe taken from my collection (source: Women’s Weekly magazine, May 2006).
Prep: 15 min Cook: 2 hour Serves: 5
- 3 – 4 cup water
- 2 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
- 100g barley
- 150g sugared winter melon strips
- 50g dried soybean sticks (fu chok), soaked
- 1 pack pre-shelled ginkgo nuts
- rock sugar to taste
- 10 quail eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
- In a pot, bring 3 -4 cup water and pandan leaves to boil.
- Add all other ingredients, except rock sugar and quail eggs.
- Bring to boil and lower heat to simmer for 1 ½ hour, until barley softens.
- Add rock sugar and eggs and cook for 3 min or until rock sugar dissolves.
- Serve hot or cold (put in the fridge to chill before serving).