Sharing below is a recipe taken from my collection (source: Singapore Women’s Weekly magazine, July 2004).
Prep: 45 min (excluding refrigeration) Bake: 35 min Serves: 6
- 1¼ cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 125g cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 – 3 tbsp iced water
- lime rind to decorate
- ¾ cup thickened cream
- ¾ cup vanilla custard
- apple topping:
- 4 green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 50g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp currants (replaced with raisins if unavailable)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Process 1¼ cup flour, 1/3 cup icing sugar, ¼ cup almond meal and 125g butter until combined.
- Add egg yolk and enough iced water to make ingredients come together.
- Shape pastry into a ball on lightly floured surface. Cover, refrigerate for 30 min.
- In the meantime, preheat oven at 190°C.
- Divide pastry equally into six portions. Roll each portion on lightly floured surface until large enough to line 10cm loose-based flan tins.
- Lift pastry into tins; trim edges. Place on oven tray. Cover, freeze for 20 min.
- Remove from freezer, bake in oven for 10 min. Reduce temperature to 180°C, bake for another 5 min or until pastry is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, cool pastry in flan tins.
- To prepare the filling, beat ¾ cup cream in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold in ¾ cup custard. Cover, refrigerate while preparing apple topping.
- To prepare apple topping, combine 4 green apples, 50g butter, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp currants and 1 tbsp lemon juice in pan.
- Cook, stirring over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer over low heat, uncovered for about 10 min or until apples are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, spoon filling into pastry cases. Cover with apple topping. Decorate with lime rind.