Sharing below is a recipe taken from my collection (source: Singapore Women’s Weekly magazine, May 2007).
Prep: 25 min Cook: 20 min Serves: 5
- 200g fish
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp sambal chilli paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- white pepper to taste
- Combine 200g fish and 1 cup coconut cream in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1 tsp sambal chilli paste, 1 tsp coriander and ½ tsp turmeric powders. Mix well.
- Add 3 eggs, pinch of salt, sugar and pepper. Mix well until a paste is formed.
- Line a shallow enamel plate with banana leaf. Pour in the fish paste.
- Place plate into the steamer try of the rice cooker.
- Pour 3 cups of water into the inner pot.
- Place steamer tray on top of the inner pot of the rice cooker. Close the lid and press menue button to select steaming mode.
- Press cooking time button to set at 20 min. Press cook/reheat button to start cooking.
- When beeper sounds, the otak-otak should be done.
- Insert a toothpick into the centre of the otak-otak, it should come out clean and the otak-otak is cooked.
- Remove from pan and serve hot. It can be eaten with rice or alone as a snack.