Sharing below is a recipe taken from my collection (source: Singapore Women’s Weekly magazine, Feb 2011).
Prep: 8 min Serves: 5 – 8
- 5 crispy Japanese cucumbers, sliced diagonally
- pinch of salt
- 2 starfruits, sliced thinly
- 2 red chillies, seeded and sliced thinly
- handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Pineapple Dressing:
- 2 thick slices pineapple, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp sesame or olive oil
- 3 tbsp Chinese rice wine
- sprinkling of ground pepper
- white rice vinegar, to taste
- Combine cucumbers with salt. Set aside for 5 min.
- Combine all dressing ingredients. Adjust taste with rice vinegar.
- Rinse cucumber and squeeze out excess juice. Pat dry.
- Combine cucumbers, starfruits, red chillies and coriander leaves in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to mix well.
- Set aside in the fridge for 20 – 30 min to let flavours develop.
- Serve in small dishes.