Sharing below is the recipe I adopted from Nonya Cooking for my trial.
- 5 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 250ml coconut milk
- 7 pandan leaves
- Blend pandan leaves to get 10ml of pandan extract.
- Mix 200g sugar, 5 eggs and 250ml coconut milk evenly in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 10ml of pandan extract into the mixture.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and lower the heat.
- Place the mixing bowl on top of the pot and keep stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the mixture is no longer runny.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the pot and leave the kaya to cool down completely.
- Keep the kaya in a clean airtight jar and refrigerate.
- Kaya can be kept in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- Remember not to cook the kaya on high heat or it will curdle.
- Keep stirring to prevent mixture from getting lumpy.
- If the kaya is lumpy, you can use a strainer to get a smooth consistency.